This class focuses on the ecology of south Florida’s coastal Mangrove ecosystems and their associated upslope and downslope salt marsh communities. Attention will be given to the ecology of these valuable ecosystems along with their cultural and economic significance to the Gulf Coast. Our afternoon field trip will provide the opportunity to see some of our local mangrove and saltmarsh communities.
- Saturday, March 26, FGCU Kapnick Center Buehler Auditorium at Naples Botanical Garden
- Lecture: 10 am – 12 pm, $5 Members / $10 Non-Members
- Field Trip TBD: 1- 4 pm, $15 Members / $20 Non-Members (limited to 20 participants-requires pre-registration)
- Registration closes March 22
- Does not include admission to the Garden
Brian Bovard is currently an Assistant Professor of Wetland Ecology in the Department of Marine and Ecological Sciences’ Environmental Studies Program. He received a B.A. in Biology from West Virginia University and a Ph.D. in Plant Physiological Ecology from Duke University. Before moving to Florida, he worked as a post-doctoral scientist at several institutions including The Ecosystem Center at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole (MA), The Ohio State University, the University of Michigan and Indiana University. Prior to coming to FGCU, he was a Lecturer of Environmental Studies at Florida International University. His research has focused on the responses of forest ecosystems to predicted changes in atmospheric CO2 and climate, and the role forest ecosystems play in both carbon storage and hydrologic processes. Brian is also working on projects related to the use of native species in green roof design at Naples Botanical Garden.
Registration for Lifelong Learning programs can be completed in these ways:
- Register in person at the Chabraja Visitors Center
- For questions or to register by phone call 239.643.7275 during business hours
- Register by email LLL@naplesgarden.org during non-business hours by leaving contact information and the program(s) of interest and someone will return your call within 2 business days
Registration is complete when payment is received. Certain programs fill up quickly and we accept registration on a first come, first served basis. Register early to ensure your program is not cancelled due to low enrollment. If a cancelation is required a refund will be issued.