Freshwater Wetlands: Big Cypress Wet Walk
We will meet at the Big Cypress Swamp Welcome Center at 9 am for this field trip- https://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.html . This field trip will include a walk through some of the major freshwater wetland communities of Big Cypress and the Everglades. Come prepared to get wet at least up to your knees. Be sure to bring a positive attitude, water, sunscreen and wear closed-toed shoes (NO sandals!). Feel free to bring binoculars, cameras and/or field guides. If you would like to bring a lunch, feel free to do so. Be prepared to get in touch with your inner child on this field trip.
- Saturday, February 18, (additional class February 25 (coastal wetlands) )
- 9 am – 12 pm, meet at the Big Cypress Swamp Welcome Center (33000 Tamiami Trail East, Ochopee, Florida 34141)
- $15 Members / $20 Non-Members (limit 30 participants)
Brian Bovard is Assistant Professor of Wetland Ecology in the Department of Marine and Ecological Sciences’ Environmental Studies Program. He received a B.A. in Biology from West Virginia University and a Ph.D. in Plant Physiological Ecology from Duke University. Before moving to Florida, he worked as a post-doctoral scientist at several institutions including The Ecosystem Center at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole (MA), The Ohio State University, the University of Michigan, and Indiana University. Prior to coming to FGCU, he was a Lecturer of Environmental Studies at Florida International University. His research has focused on the responses of forest ecosystems to predicted changes in atmospheric CO2 and climate, and the role forest ecosystems play in both carbon storage and hydrologic processes. Brian is also working on projects related to the use of native species in green roof design at Naples Botanical Garden.
Registration for Lifelong Learning programs can be completed in these ways:
- Register in person at the Chabraja Visitors Center
- For questions or to register by phone call 239.643.7275 during business hours
- Register by email LLL@naplesgarden.org during non-business hours by leaving contact information and the program(s) of interest and someone will return your call within 2 business days
Registration is complete when payment is received. Certain programs fill up quickly and we accept registration on a first come, first served basis. Register early to ensure your program is not cancelled due to low enrollment. If a cancellation is required a refund will be issued.
Sponsored in part by the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture.